World of Warcraft Programming: A Guide and Reference for Creating WoW Addons
'World of Warcraft Programming: A Guide and Reference for Creating WoW Addons', also known simply as 'World of Warcraft Programming', is a published book series and a complementary WoW API reference web site wowprogramming.com by James Whitehead II and others, and was the first professionally created programming book and API reference for WoW. The book is still suitable for learning the basics of WoW programming and and Lua.
From the authors' web site:
World of Warcraft Programming is an all-in-one guide to writing addons for World of Warcraft, leading the reader through a tutorial on Lua programming, guiding them through several example addons, and providing them with a comprehensive reference for the World of Warcraft API. Readers should be familiar with the user interface of World of Warcraft, and may have some experience downloading and installing addons.
- The Second Edition is updated through patch 3.2.
- The website is still fairly current, relative to the book, for its list of API functions.
- The web site contains downloadable real examples from the books.
- The book uses the AddOn Studio for WoW in some of the examples and lessons.
- Authors' web site about page for the book's first edition
- Authors' web site about page for the book's Second edition
- Beginning Lua with World of Warcraft Add-ons - Another excellent published book resource
- UI beginner's guide
- UI FAQ/AddOn Author Resources